U.S. Route 395
The way to the Eastern Sierra. From Pasadena, we're lucky to have this route open all year! Northern sections (towards Mammoth Lakes) reach higher elevations are occasionally closed due to snow but are plowed quickly. To get there, take the 210 to the 5 to the 14 (or take the 15 to Hesperia).
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="36.580247" lon="-118.038483" zoom="8"> </googlemap>
From South to North:
- Coso Junction
- Lone Pine, one of the bigger towns (but much smaller than Bishop), and the nearest town to Mount Whitney
- Independence, near Mount Williamson
- Big Pine, near one of the trailheads for the Palisades
- Bishop, the biggest town in the region
- Tom's Place
- Mammoth Lakes (actually not on the 395 but close); small but important town, home to the best resort skiing south of Tahoe.
- June Lake (also not actually on the 395 but close); notable for a small ski resort, backcountry skiing, and ice climbing
- Lee Vining, notable for ice climbing
- Spokane, Washington