Specialist Gear Reservations
- A Sport Rack, good for climbs with pre-placed bolts and bolted anchors
- A Large Trad Rack (Rack 1), with a wide range of cams (see note below on reserving this)
- This rack includes several large cams (#4-6 BD camalots) which you can check out separately
- A Small Trad Rack (Rack 2), with standard-sized cams
- A pair of Cassin leashless ice tools
- A Second pair of Black Diamond leashless ice tools
- A small rack of ice screwes, doubles from 13-19cm BD screws
- Two pairs of vertical frontpoint crampons suitable for ice climbing
- Garmont G-ride ski boots (27.5, approx US men's 10) and skins which will work with the AT skis stored at the Y
- Black diamond link 90 skis, 166cm long, with eagle bindings that fit traditional alpine ski boots
Since this gear is delicate and is intended only for more experienced users, it must be checked out from the club leadership directly.
(Note that since it's critical and practically impossible to keep track of their history, we don't have climbing ropes to loan out)
- All the specialist gear is available to any Caltech community member. To be able to reserve the gear, email email@example.com with your Caltech affiliation and relevant experience . You will be given access to the google calendar below, where you can make your reservations. Please make your reservation no less than two days before you need the gear, and please be courteous about monopolizing it. Gear can usually be picked up directly from Patrick's office on Thursdays, or from whoever last checked out the gear - for now please arrange the pickup by emailing Patrick, but make reservations on the calendar to avoid confusion.
- There is no rental charge for the gear.
- If you lose or negligently damage any of the gear, we will ask you to help pay for its replacement.
- Use the gear with care, love and report any damage/falls. This is very important, as gear that has taken a fall is suspect, even if it looks undamaged, and will often need to be retired.
- Trad rack #1 is preferential towards students (as opposed to faculty or staff) IFF they reserve it a week in advance.
- Gear should be marked with red/yellow tape. If this falls off, please let us know so we can replace it.
- Finally, as should be obvious, it is your responsibility to know how to use this gear safely, to recognize and accept the risks inherent in the activities this gear facilitates, and to be able to inspect the gear to make sure it is still in good condition when you check it out. In short, use at your own risk!
Here is the gear rental calendar for your perusal.