San Gabriel Mountains
This is the range directly north of Caltech, featuring many excellent, easily available hikes, scrambles, and ski runs.
Places of Interest
- Echo Mountain, Inspiration Point - a popular hike/trailrun, just a few minutes from campus
- Mount Lowe - North of Echo Mountain, this is the tall peak directly North of campus
- Strawberry Peak - unaccessable since the Station fire but apparently a good class 3 scramble
- Mount Baldy - the tallest peak in the range and the site of many CAC activities
- Mount Baden-Powell
- Eaton Canyon
- Mount Wilson - many hiking and biking trails
- mbpost San Gabriel Front Range article - info on several mountain biking trails.