Banff Film Festival 2013
The 2013 Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour comes to Caltech on March 26 at 7:30 PM. Following last year's near sell-out at Beckman auditorium, we have decided to host it at the same venue this year. Mark your calendar already and come join us for the Caltech Alpine Club's most celebrated event. And while you're here, do check out the trailer !
Watch this space for important updates and announcements.
- We're hosting a GUSH this Friday, March 22 in the North Cats Rec Room, more info here.
- A pre-Banff reception will be jointly hosted by the Caltech Alpine Club and American Alpine Club. See the link for more details.
- Online ticket sales are now closed. Please call the Caltech Ticket Office if not on campus.
- RAFFLE PRIZE list is now up-to date ! Scroll down for details.
- Time: March 26, 2013 7:30pm
- Venue: Beckman Auditorium, Caltech campus.
- Address: 332 S Michigan Ave, Pasadena, CA 91125 .
- Tickets: $12 pre-sale, $15 at the door, $5 for Caltech students
- Caltech Ticket Office : call 626-395-4652
World Tour Stop: Caltech
Since at least 2001, Caltech has been a proud host of the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour. Stopping at over 500 locations in 30 countries around the globe, the Tour celebrates the best films shown at that year's Festival in Banff, Alberta, Canada, one of the premier exhibitions of films about mountain culture in the world. Topics of the films include mountain sports (skiing, climbing, kayaking, mountain biking, BASE, and others) and exotic mountain communities living in remote corners of the Earth. Dramatic scenery, quirky comedy, artistic cinematography, and epic adventures are classic trademarks of the best Banff films.
The format of this year's event will be the same as in years past: 2-2.5 hours of total footage divided into 7-10 different films covering a wide variety of the above mentioned themes. Each film will range in length from 5-30+ minutes. There are a large number of films to choose from, even after only the best films have been chosen during the week-long Film Festival held in November. Members of the Caltech Alpine Club community gather every year in late January to determine the final list of films to be shown at our own screening in Pasadena, customized to our audience and personal taste. We also pay close attention to suggestions from years past!
In late March, we show this selection of films to what has been a sell-out crowd for as long as we can remember. Ticket prices are $12 for general audience (price goes up to $15 at the door) and $5 for Caltech students. If you plan to come, please purchase your tickets in advance from the Caltech Events ticket office to ensure that you won't miss our biggest event of the year!
Local Sponsors and Raffle
We will have an epic raffle this year, with a boatload of prizes from the flagship store of Sport Chalet at La Canada, Hangar18 climbing gym, Stronghold Climbing Gym, REI Arcadia and complimentary coffee samples for the first 1000 attendees from Kicking Horse Coffee. There'll be the usual huge pile of goodies as well, from the Banff World Tour sponsors (TNF, Deuter, OR, etc). Also, with the generous support of our friends at the American Alpine Club, we are putting together a pre-Banff reception with snacks and beer from Eagle Rock Brewery.
- Sport Chalet at La Canada
- MSR Hubba Hubba tent (2 person)
- 30L DryCase Waterproof Canyoneering Backpack
- High Sierra Adventure TVL Gear 6 Luggage (56L)
- Lighter1 bear bin (11L)
- Coleman Triton Series Instastart 2-Burner Stove.
- Coleman Easy Hanging LED Lantern
- Mountainsmith Nomad Trekking Pole
- Camp Corsa Ice Axe
- Magellan Switch GPS Watch
- Native sunglasses
- Princeton Tec Byte headlamps.
- Grand Trunk Hooded Neck Pillow
- MSR Trucker Hat
- Fenix E11 LED Flashlights.
- Lots of camping cookware !
- Hangar 18 Climbing Gym : 2x annual passes
- Stronghold Climbing Gym : 3x 1 month passes, 6x day passes
- REI trekking poles
- Novara cycling accessories
- REI multi day first aid kit
- Kicking Horse Coffee : Sample packs for the first 1000 attendees
- Banff Center
- From National Geographic- The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide
- Deuter- a Speedlite backpack
- Outdoor Research- a toque (‘winter hat’/’beanie’)
- Kicking Horse Coffee- a bag of coffee
- Petzl- Best of #3 DVD
- Dolby- Collectors edition of The Art of Flight or Where the Trail Ends
- MSR- Alpine water bottle
- Therm-a-rest- compressible pillow
- Alpine Club of Canada- membership
This year we have a heady mix of films spanning mountain running, skiing, mountaineering, climbing, paddling and environmental awareness. The program (~ 125 min showtime ) will be as follows :
- Lily Shreds Trailside
- Unicorn Sashimi
- 5 Races 5 Continents
- Highway Wilding
- RR: Honnold 3.0
- Denali Experiment
- On the Road: Skiing the Void
- Gimp Monkeys
- Mountains in Motion
- Industrial Revolutions
If you couldn't make it to the movie selection night, you can watch the trailers online.
- Banff Film Festival Selection Night 2013 for more information about the selection process.
- Banff Film Festival 2012
- Banff Film Festival 2011
- Banff Film Festival 2010
- Banff Film Festival 2009
- Banff Film Festival 2008
- Banff Film Festival 2007
- Banff Film Festival 2006
- Banff Film Festival 2005
- Banff Film Festival 2004
- Banff Film Festival 2003
- Banff Film Festival 2002
- Banff Film Festival 2001
- Telluride Film Festival 2002
- Telluride Film Festival 2001